Cherry Blossom Festival – Macon, GA
March 18-27, 2011
It’s the Pinkest Party on Earth! Macon Georgia’s International Cherry Blossom Festival is returning on March 18th. Tickets are on sale now at the event website. Macon boasts more than 300,000 flowering Yoshino cherry trees which are waiting to show their colors. The Cherry Blossom Festival, one of the largest in the country, continues for more than a week with events including a bed race, parade, fireworks, fashion show, street market, hot air balloons, and nightly concerts. It’s gonna be a busy week with nearly 100 events all across town.
Here is just a sampling of the festival events:
- Carnival Rides – March 19th through the 26th. Rides are free from 9 am to 11 am on Saturday morning.
- Free Nightly Concerts – Every night a different band will play at the Coca-Cola Entertainment Stage.
- Cherry Blossom Gala – Friday night, March 13th at the Macon City Auditorium. Music, dancing, hors d’oeuvres, and cash bar. Tickets are $50 per person or $10 balcony.
- Tunes and Balloons – Saturday, March 19th. Tethered hot air balloon rides, music and children’s activities. $5; children under 6 are free. Free parking.
- Fashion Show and Pink Champagne Brunch – Thursday, March 24th at the Anderson Conference Center. $35 per person.
- Party with a Purpose – Friday night, March 25th featuring contemporary Christian recording artist Mark Schultz. Tickets are $10.
- Street Party – Saturday night, March 26th, in downtown Macon with music by OutKast, Big Boi, and Jamey Johnson. Tickets for this event are $12 in advance or $15 at the gate.
The Cherry Blossom Festival was born in 1982 under the auspices of the Keep Macon-Bibb Beautiful Commission, and was developed around the basic principles of “love, beauty and international friendship.” Despite its humble beginnings, the festival has become one of the Top 20 Events in the South, Top 50 Events in the U.S. and Top 100 Events in North America. It has grown from a three-day festival with 30 events, to a 10-day celebration featuring hundreds of events planned to entertain all ages and backgrounds.
(Photo Credit: Quinn Dombrowski @ Flickr.com)
Chance of Rain75°/63°
Chance of a Thunderstorm64°/27°